Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Business delayed by the early mail

The following is a transcription of a letter sent by Clark Leal, of Fountain Grun, on April 15th, 1844, to General Joseph Smith, Nauvoo, regarding the sale of property. Amusingly, the communication was delayed by a week because the mail had arrived earlier the week before. The latter is available in the Church History Library, MS 9670 folder 5, in Salt Lake City on microfilm.

Transcription

Fountain Grun April 15th 1844
 Dear Sir
I had intended to have written last week but the Mail came 2 hours sooner than usual I was disappointed.
I will sell the NE15 6N8W for five Dollars per acre if paid on or before the first of May or 5.50 censt [sic!] if a bucket [???] bi [sic!] given of 300 Dollars till the first October. I intend going to Carthage to morrow and will make all necessary Enquiries and if the title is not right will let you know immediately.
I will give the necessary Bond when Mr Clayton comes cout [???] as I will {ILLEGIBLE} not probably be well Enough to go as far from home by than that time. 
Yours Respectfully
<sig> Clark Leal 

No comments:

Post a Comment