Saturday, February 8, 2020

Aventinus on Alexander

The Bavarian Chronicles of Aventinus, one of the texts that Albrecht Altdorfer used for his Alexander-Schlacht, one way or another, was published in German in 1526. At this point, Aventinus was already living in Regensburg, having fled there from the anger of the Bavarian duke with assistance of the Bavarian chancellor.

The Digital Library of the Munich Center for Digitalisation of the Bavarian State Library has the scans of the Bavarian Chronicle, based on the edition of Vol IV of the Sämtliche Werke, edited by Sigmund von Riezler and Matthias von Lexer.

For the discussion of Alexander, the important parts are in Book I and range from Chapter 153 to 159.

The important points are as follows:

  • Aventinus gives Arrianus and Quintus Curtius Rufus as the main sources, mentioning the Patrons of these editions as Emperor Sigmund for Arrianus and Duke Ernst of Bavaria for the Rufus edition that Erasmus of Rotterdam had overseen (Bk I, Cpt 153, p.337)
  • Aventinus disparages Johannes Harlieb's rendition of the Alexander romance, though its patrons had been the Bavarian Duke Albrecht and his wife Anna of Braunschweig, criticizing its adding and deleting as well as its lack of Latin skill (Bk I, Cpt 153, p.337)
  • Aventinus gives the number of 32,000 foot soldiers and 4,000 men cavalry both in his overview (Bk I, Cpt 153, p.337) as well as in his description of Alexander defeating the satraps of Darius Bk I, Cpt 157, p.346)
  • The role of Alexander in the prophecy of Daniel regarding the four empires is both given at the summary beginning (Bk I, Cpt 153, p.336) as well as reiterated at the end of his biographical sketch (Bk I, Cpt 153, p.340).
  • The battle with Darios at Issos is described in Cpt 158 as the First Battle (Bk I, Cpt 158 pp.346-347).
  • Aventinus only gives 10,000 horse for Darios, not 100,000, as do many others (Rufus' numbers add to 62k horse, Justin gives 100k, which Schedel probably copied from there), though he agrees with the 300,000 Persian foot that Schedel gave in his Weltchronik (250k if you sum Rufus, 400k in Justin) (Bk I, Cpt 158 pp.347).
  • Aventinus does not describe the women at the battle, nor how many men Darius flees with, nor how many were killed, but has Darius escape to Babylon (Bk I, Cpt 158 pp.347).
  • Aventinus reports the sack of the camp, the "Wagenburg" as he puts it (Bk I, Cpt 158 pp.347).
  • Aventinus does report the capture of the women and family of Darius (Bk I, Cpt 158 pp.347).
    • "Captured also Dareios' mother, house wife, son, daughters, the whole women's quarters, maintained it well until his end." (Bk I, Cpt 158 pp.347)
  • The "Other Battle" with Dareios at Arbela (Gaugemala) is recounted in Bk I, Cpt 159, pp.350ff. 
  • Aventinus reports Alexander's becoming sick and then recovering ((Bk I, Cpt 159 pp.350), then wins the battle and Darios is killed during the retreat, while Alexander takes Babylon (Bk I, Cpt 159 p.352).
Among the more curious points are:
  • Aventinus reports that Alexander fought German tribes ("Teutsche") on his northern border of Macedonia, including some Bavarians, who apparently were scared of having the sky fall on their heads only (Bk I Cpt 154-157 pp342-345).
  • In reference to Rufus, Aventinus claims that 4k Suebians (with Suabia running all the way down to Poland and Hungary) were at the battle ((Bk I, Cpt 159 p.351).
Because the number of Darios horse was so low, I cross-checked them against an edition from 1580 printed in Regensburg, but the number was the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment